Position Summary: This position supports Seattle Presbytery and its mission by managing its bookkeeping, both receivables and payables. The Bookkeeper works as part of the Presbytery staff and supporting its member churches and their staffs/congregations. Attention to detail, good communication skills and an ability to maintain confidentiality are critical skill sets.
Accountability: Reports to Business/Finance Manager. Office is located in downtown Seattle, with moderate flexibility for remote working, subject to needs of the business.
- Process invoices, payroll, staff expense reimbursements and staff expense advances (A/P). Ensure that all incoming invoices are approved, returned and paid in a timely manner. Ensure correct code/account numbers are assigned, post in QuickBooks. Reconcile vendor statements.
- Process all receipts and deposits (A/R), including contributions, rent/lease payments, and other receipts. Ensure deposits and checks are assigned correct code/account numbers, post receipts in QuickBooks. Reconcile bank statements. Prepare checks/electronic payments on a weekly basis, at minimum.
- Maintain electronic files of all relevant documents/statements. Maintain current vendor and contributor records.
- Prepare and post journal entries
- Assist with insurance issues
- Prepare 1099’s and other tax documents at year end or as needed
- Communicate with staff, vendors and members
- Provide support for any audit as needed
- Assist with development/streamlining and documentation of processes and procedures
- Assist with other projects as assigned
- A personal relationship with and commitment to Jesus Christ, and a genuine love for the Church.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), its mission, its form of government and doctrine, in accordance with the Book of Order and Book of Confessions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent two years experience.
- 2+ years experience in Accounts Payable and/or bookkeeping
- Proven interpersonal skills, including a strong customer service orientation and ability to work cooperatively as a team player
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Computer competence in Google and Office applications
- Accounting software experience required (Quickbooks Online preferred)
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and personal integrity
Hours/Benefits: This is a part-time, 10-18 hours per week non-exempt (hourly) position. Days worked will be determined in coordination with Business/Finance Manager and other Presbytery staff. Hours will be fine-tuned at the 3-month position review. This position is not eligible for benefits.
Salary: Commensurate with ability/experience and equitable within existing salary structure.
Evaluation: There is an annual review and evaluation of performance and a review in accordance with the personnel policies of Seattle Presbytery.
To Apply: Resumes and cover letters may be sent to EJ Lee.